Thursday, October 7, 2010

First conversation with my Father

Tonight I was sitting at home with my 72 year old father watching tv. The news came on, and then a story about the silent protest held around temple square and church headquarters. Touching that 4500 people showed up. My Dad listened, then said "I don't have anything against Gay people," I just don't like the idea of gay marriage." He mentioned thinking that the Iowa Supreme Court made the wrong choice. I didn't say a lot, but stated that what got the LDS Church in trouble was their black and white attitude about things like this. I pointed out the problem we are having within our community of gay youth suicides. I said to him--imagine how my brother (bishop) would feel if one of his kids were gay. My Dad said--"he'd be pretty unhappy."

It was 10:30 pm, late, and I just didn't quite feel like "coming out." I think that will happen tomorrow on the way back to the airport. I don't ever remember having a conversation about homosexuality with my father before--of any kind. He showed me some degree of rationality still exists in his mind.

Meanwhile--I hope that if some gay young man or woman is reading this blog--they know there is life beyond high school, and beyond the cultural reach of a church which chooses to exclude homosexuals. I want them to know they are loved--both by God, and by many other people like myself who fear for their lives, and hope they can see their way through the fog.

In other life news--I'm dating someone I really like and care about. He's a lot like me, just younger. He grew up LDS, was married, had 2 kids, and divorced. Not sure why I felt like writing this--guess there is a first for everything.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am touched by your journey. I too am having more conversations lately with my Dad. He also is now 70 years old and the space we find to talk is oft times strained, unlike the easy peace we had as I grew up. I guess in the back of his mind, someday, all of this I call my life would come to an end and I would "return to the faith."

    God and I have met again, and we walk this road together. For my Dad to accept that would call on a resolve and tolerance that is so hard to his generation to find and grasp. I don't give up hope that someday he will simply love me, for me.

    The news of you sharing life with another that you like and care for us amazing! Congratulations on reaching out. We are never more strong than when we are partnered with another. I hope smiles and love find you both!

    Daemon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. You really sound like you're in a better place these days.

    Take it slow and steady with the dating. You'll do well.

    ReplyDelete