Saturday, October 9, 2010

"Out" to my father


I did it....

The next day, after we had watched the church broadcast, I had to take him back to the airport. It was the last chance I would have in several months to do it face to face. It was so hard. I don't think I've ever felt that nervous/anxious about coming out to someone. The road kept going by, and finally, I figured I just had to do it. I told him that I didn't want him being mad at my ex wife about our divorce, and told him I had made quite a mistake a long time ago (and I added that it wasn't an affair). I explained that I was gay, and I had never told her that before we got married. A brief version of the story, but it got the point across. It was easy to see his mind processing all of this. He didn't say a great deal, and his demeanor didn't really change.

So--3 straight friends, my mother, a massage therapist, my children---and now my father. The process goes on.... My sister is next. Wish I saw her more in person.

I miss my kids this weekend. Just not used to them being gone.....

6 comments:

  1. I know the coming out to your father is difficult. It was not easy for me either. It took me so long to get up the nerve to finally tell him. I was/am blessed to have a father who is so accepting and loving. Nothing has really changed between us.

    I sincerely hope that your relationship with you father has the same outcome as mine.

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Telling my last sibling today. We used to be so close. Now I'm insecure in our relationship and apprehensive about telling her. Please pray for me, as I do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that was difficult. I came out to my mother and she told my father. By the time I was had a chance to talk to him, he already knew.

    My dad has continued to be supportive and I hope your is too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it went well. Good luck with the other disclosures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...encouraged and inspired by your courage and bravery. It is amazing the liberation and freedom that honesty can bring into our lives.

    It will take time for him to process this and the steps are different with each person, but be available if he has questions and take it as it comes.


    Praying for you! :)

    Daemon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh boy. I remember going through the list of family and friends.

    ReplyDelete