Choice A: Those of us who are gay just were predestined to be afflicted, no different than being a perpetual single woman, someone who is going to struggle their whole lives with alcoholism. It is our cross to bear--no explanation provided. Everything will be explained in the end at judgement day. Live with it and shut up.
Choice B: There is more to being Gay than it just being an affliction. God made us this way for a reason besides suffering and affliction therapy. We will be better human beings if we embrace it and move forward. God's eternal plan has room in it for us without being destined to the telestial kingdom. We aren't an abomination due to our desires and actions.
Which is it boys? I read your blogs, I see you dealing with this. I'm not convinced that knowing the Book of Mormon is true and that God lives answers the question fully. Some of you have had beautifully spritual confirmations that the truth lies somewhere in between.
If you go to the MOHO Polls site and revisit the poll response to a similar question, you'll find that there is consensus in nothing. It is almost evenly spread between
ReplyDelete1) sexual orientation being eternal
2) Homosexuality is a mortal condition
3) Don't know
4) Don't care one way or the other
I personally am a firm believer in the Plan that Joseph Smith revealed, yet I don't believe that he saw every situation or provided every answer in that plan. There is a lot that we don't know. But I do believe that the Plan is great enough to provide each of us a hope and a promise in becoming the best that we can become, and that includes being the best gay man I can be.
I like the idea that I knew I'd deal with this when I was told I would come to earth and I love the idea that my wife knew also, and that she promised to be by my side and help me through it that we're just continuing a relationship we made before this life - thats whats going on, so I believe it!
ReplyDeleteI don't believe in a God that would "wire" his children in a way that propels them away from his plan. So when you add to this my belief that being gay is something He intended, it makes it clear that we are missing a large chunk of the plan of happiness.
ReplyDeleteChoice B for me. :)
ReplyDeletewhat El Genio said. To say some of us are wired to want and be fulfilled by something that will damn us is little different than John Calvin's version of predestination, in which the damned have no say in their destiny. In my experience, those Mormons who call homosexuality a "struggle" or an "affliction" or even a "pathology" and who point to the classic myth of the profligate "gay lifestyle" truly don't comprehend what it means to be gay. Their doctrine of "resist for this life" is based on assumptions alone, many of them false ones. I can make sense of it all only if I conclude that we are indeed missing a significant chunk of the plan. Which probably wasn't crucial in Joseph Smith's time so he never thought to ask for it. But times change and so do doctrines. I for one will continue to pray that we will be given more of the missing pieces soon.
ReplyDeleteI choose B. Biggest and best parts of the plan still to come.
ReplyDeleteI agree with El Genio and would pick B. God loves us enough that he would not send us to Earth with no way of getting back to [the highest] heaven because of how we were created. I do think things will be revealed in the next life, but not in the "suffer until then" kind of way. More the "become the best person you can, grow in love and accept who you are" sort of way. lol
ReplyDeleteJoseph Smith is a liar and The Book of Mormon is a false document.
ReplyDeletePeople who believe lies choose to live their own.
I think you know the answer deep down.
ReplyDeleteCliché, yes, but something to ponder.